Ask the Vets Pets
A weekly column about pet health care Home
Pet Care Information Especially for Editors About Us Search
DOGS
CATS
OTHER PETS
IMPORTANT INFO
PET OF THE MONTH
LINKS
 
CONTACT US
D2010-52

Dear Daisy Dog

During a recent party at my house, a friend offered beer to my dog, Buster. I immediately rescued Buster and crated him in my bedroom to keep him safe. My friend said I over-reacted, that the beer might make Buster a little tipsy but it wouldn’t hurt him. Is that true?

Daisy Responds

Beer, wine and other alcoholic beverages make us dogs more than just tipsy -– they can kill us. Because we weigh so much less than you humans, even a little swig of alcohol is a large dose of poison to us.

An hour or two after a dog ingests alcohol on a full stomach (or 15 to 30 minutes on an empty stomach), central nervous system problems develop. We may stagger and become weak, disoriented or overly excited. Often we need to urinate.

Then, depending on the dose of alcohol, our body systems may begin to shut down. Our breathing slows, and cardiac arrest may occur.

Alcoholic beverages are only part of the problem. We dogs are often attracted to flavored liquid medications that contain alcohol. Fermented products, such as bread dough, also are toxic when ingested because fermentation produces alcohol.

It sounds like your “friend” should be barred from your house, and perhaps Buster should remain crated during parties until your friends mature. If ever you suspect someone has poisoned Buster, get him to the veterinarian immediately.

 

back to index

  Contact Us