Ask the Vets Pets
A weekly column about pet health care Home
Pet Care Information Especially for Editors About Us Search
DOGS
CATS
OTHER PETS
IMPORTANT INFO
PET OF THE MONTH
LINKS
 
CONTACT US
D2009-24

Dear Daisy Dog

Dune, my 8-month-old golden retriever, picks up sycamore branches on our walks. He carries them home and gnaws on them, sometimes ingesting a bit of wood. I supervise to make sure he doesn’t swallow large pieces or choke. Still, I’m worried: Is sycamore toxic?

Daisy Responds

Sycamore isn’t toxic, although Dune may develop digestive problems if he eats too much. A more pressing concern is whether wood splinters will perforate his gastrointestinal tract.

I, too, like to chew on branches, but Mom doesn’t let me swallow the wood. When Dune moves from chewing to eating, take away his tree branches and offer him a safe dog chew toy in trade.

Even my favorites -– Kongs, hard rubber Nylabones and rope toys -– can pose problems, so keep an eye on Dune whenever he chews on anything.

 

back to index

  Contact Us