Ask the Vets Pets
A weekly column about pet health care Home
Pet Care Information Especially for Editors About Us Search
DOGS
CATS
OTHER PETS
IMPORTANT INFO
PET OF THE MONTH
LINKS
 
CONTACT US
D2007-11

Dear Daisy Dog

While I was walking my 5-month-old puppy, he devoured a dead mouse. What will happen to him? Our family loves him very much.

Daisy Responds

I’ve snatched up a few dead mice in my time, too. They tasted yummy, and they didn’t bother me a bit.

Your pup is smaller, so that dead mouse might cause stomach or intestinal upset. If he vomits, develops diarrhea, or loses his appetite or energy, call your veterinarian.

While most of us have no problem eating the occasional mouse, some dogs do become infected with the mouse’s parasites.

To check for parasites, take a fecal sample to your veterinarian. If your pup has parasites, your vet will prescribe a medication to kill them.

A rarer but more serious condition can develop if your pup ate a mouse that had ingested a large dose of poison.

Mouse poison within a dead mouse’s body is still toxic to an animal that eats the mouse. The problem, called relay toxicosis, can lead to internal bleeding.

So even though it seems unlikely that the mouse your pup ate was poisoned, it’s best to ask your veterinarian to examine your puppy, just to be safe.

And teach your pup the “leave it” command my mom often uses with me, so he won’t eat the next dead delicacy he finds.

back to index

  Contact Us