Dear Daisy Dog
My daughter’s puppy ate a bit of mouse poison. What should I do?
Most mouse poisons work by causing internal bleeding; some cause kidney failure, heart failure or brain damage. Without treatment, even a small dose can kill a puppy.
When a pet ingests a poison, timing is crucial, so the most important thing you can do to save your grand-puppy’s life is to get the pup to the veterinarian immediately.
If you wait for clinical signs to appear, the chance of reversing the toxicity is slim.
Take along the package the poison came in, so the veterinarian can check the name and concentration of the active ingredient.
Each type of mouse poison requires a different treatment.
If the pup ingested a large amount, intensive therapy will be needed.
The veterinarian will remove as much poison as possible from the pup’s stomach and minimize intestinal absorption of what remains.
Then the vet will treat the puppy to block the effects of the absorbed poison.
If your daughter’s pup is like me when I was young and foolish, she may have to deal with a similar episode again. If that happens, she should call the veterinarian immediately.
Getting a dog to the vet within an hour or two after a toxic ingestion maximizes the opportunity for successful therapy.