Dear Daisy Dog
If my dog eats marijuana, will it hurt him?
Yes. I’ve never actually seen marijuana myself, but I met a dog at the park who became very sick after eating some.
He ate part of the contents of a marijuana baggie and became sleepy and uncoordinated. His heart rate slowed, his pupils dilated, and he lost control of his bladder.
Seizures and coma can occur also.
Most dogs who eat marijuana display clinical signs within a half to three hours. They remain ill for up to four days.
Worse, the drug can be fatal. Many factors determine the lethal dose, but it is estimated that about half a teaspoon of dried leaves can kill a 65-pound dog.
Prevent this kind of poisoning by getting the marijuana out of your house.
If you ever suspect your dog has eaten it, or any other toxin, take him to the veterinarian immediately. But don’t worry: Veterinarians are not required to report these cases to the police.