Ask the Vets Pets
A weekly column about pet health care Home
Pet Care Information Especially for Editors About Us Search
DOGS
CATS
OTHER PETS
IMPORTANT INFO
PET OF THE MONTH
LINKS
 
CONTACT US
D2003-34

Dear Daisy Dog

My dog died of antifreeze poisoning. I shudder when I see yellow-green puddles in parking lots where cars have leaked, because I’m afraid other dogs will drink the antifreeze and suffer the way mine did.

Is there some non-toxic chemical I can carry in my car to pour on the antifreeze puddles to neutralize them?

Daisy Responds

How about a roll of paper towels, some disposable gloves and a trash bag? Or cat litter to sprinkle onto the antifreeze puddles to absorb the fluid.

You’re a guardian angel, and you just might save the life of a dog, cat, child or wild animal.

Antifreeze tastes sweet – but it contains ethylene glycol, which causes kidney failure and death when ingested. Just three tablespoons can kill a 25-pound dog, while a cat who happened to nap under a leaky car could die simply from licking antifreeze from the hair while grooming.

Propylene glycol antifreeze products, like Sierra, are much safer.

The U.S. House of Representatives is considering the Antifreeze Safety Act, which would require antifreeze sold in the United States to contain a bittering agent to make it unpalatable to animals and humans.

If you’d like to help the law pass, contact your federal (not state) representative and ask him or her to cosponsor HR 1563, the Antifreeze Safety Act. If you’re not sure who your representative is, visit www.congress.org and enter your zip code.

back to index

  Contact Us