Ask the Vets Pets
A weekly column about pet health care home
Pet Care Especially for Editors About Us Search
DOGS
CATS
OTHER PETS
IMPORTANT INFO
PET OF THE MONTH
LINKS
 
CONTACT US
C2007-10

Dear Christopher Cat

My cat tipped over a pot of liquid potpourri – and is lucky to be alive.

She collapsed with a fever, mouth ulcers and swollen paws. Immediate veterinary treatment saved her.Please warn your readers of the dangers of liquid potpourri.

Christopher Responds

You did it better than I could have.

In addition to the problems liquid potpourri induced in your cat, it can cause vomiting, lethargy, breathing difficulties and excessive salivation.

Many other household products that seem innocuous to you humans are hazardous to us cats.

Among them are Tylenol, chocolate, tobacco, the sugar substitute xylitol, glow-in-the-dark jewelry, bread dough, onions, pennies, batteries, some house plants, string and ribbon.

To call attention to the problem, the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) named this week National Poison Prevention Week.

Keep your cat safe by visiting the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center’s Web site at www.aspca.org/apcc. Click on “A poison-safe home,” “Toxic plants,” “Non-toxic plants” and “What to do if your pet is poisoned.”

I confess that the other cats in my family – and I – sometimes get into trouble, too. That’s why Mom programmed the toll-free number of the Animal Poison Control Center (888-426-4435) into the kitchen phone.

Keep your veterinarian’s telephone number handy, too, so you’re prepared in the event of another emergency.

back to index

  contact us