Ask the Vets Pets
A weekly column about pet health care home
Pet Care Especially for Editors About Us Search
DOGS
CATS
OTHER PETS
IMPORTANT INFO
PET OF THE MONTH
LINKS
 
CONTACT US
C2004-23

Dear Christopher Cat

I have received several e-mail messages saying the Swiffer Wet Jet liquid is toxic to pets. My cats roll around on the floor, and I’m concerned that they will get the Swiffer residue on their coats and ingest it when they groom. What are the facts?

Christopher Responds

Relax. Swiffer is safe for companion animals.

We don’t use the Swiffer Wet Jet in our house, because my bushy tail dusts the floors better than any store-bought product.

However, Mom received the same e-mail messages alleging that ingredients in Swiffer Wet Jet were similar to ethylene glycol in antifreeze, which can cause fatal kidney failure.

Veterinary toxicologists at the Animal Poison Control Center of the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals refute the charge.

They say the ingredients in antifreeze and Swiffer Wet Jet differ significantly, and that Swiffer, when used according to label directions, is safe for pets.

Before you forward e-mail messages about products supposedly toxic to animals, check www.apcc.aspca.org or call 1-888-426-4435 for the facts.

You can also research such questions at one of the Internet hoax websites, or call your veterinarian.

back to index

  contact us