Dear Christopher Cat
Our cat, Jasmine, is fascinated by the liquid potpourri pots I have around the house. She hasn’t actually drunk from any of the pots yet, but I’m afraid she might. Is liquid potpourri safe for cats?
No! Potpourri liquids are extremely toxic to cats.
Jasmine doesn’t even have to drink from a potpourri pot to be poisoned. She could rub against a leaky bottle of the concentrated fragrance or spill the potpourri pot and ingest the liquid when she grooms herself. She might also splash the liquid into her eyes.
Potpourri causes a variety of toxic signs in cats: excessive salivation, fever, vomiting, lethargy, breathing difficulties and mouth ulcers.
Moreover, whether your potpourri pot is warmed by a candle or electricity, you have to be concerned about a fire hazard if she’s playing with the pot.
Hide your potpourri pots when they are not in use, and watch Jasmine closely when you are using them.
If you ever suspect that she may have been exposed to the potpourri liquid, take her to the veterinarian immediately because quick treatment can be life-saving.