Ask the Vets Pets
A weekly column about pet health care home
Pet Care Especially for Editors About Us Search
DOGS
CATS
OTHER PETS
IMPORTANT INFO
PET OF THE MONTH
LINKS
 
CONTACT US
C2003-06

Dear Christopher Cat

Our daughter loves glow-in-the-dark jewelry.  Each time she gets a new necklace or bracelet, she and our cat Oliver play with it for hours.  Is this safe?

Christopher Responds

I love to dress up in my mom’s jewelry, too, but the glow-in-the-dark type is in very bad taste.  Literally.

This kind of jewelry contains a luminescent oil called dibutyl phthalate that tastes terrible.  If Oliver bites into the jewelry, the nasty flavor of the oil will cause him to salivate profusely. 

Many cats then become hyperactive or even aggressive, probably because of the awful flavor.

The oil isn’t otherwise very toxic, as long as only a small amount is ingested.

To be on the safe side, keep Oliver from playing with the jewelry.  If he does bite into it, immediately feed him canned cat food or milk to dilute the chemical’s horrible taste. 

The copious salivation usually resolves within a few minutes.

Then wash any of the oil residue off his coat so he doesn’t ingest it when he grooms.

To help Oliver recover from this fashion disaster, I suggest a nice toy mouse.

 

back to index

back to index

  contact us